Theme of the Week + PSHE Bulletin by Mr Hunt

Morning Year 13,

Thanks again for those of you who are updating me with what you've been up to over the past few weeks. Please keep sending me emails. As I said before, I love hearing from you.

Leaver's Ball update
I can confirm that the Leaver's Ball will not be happening on Thursday 18th June 😞. However, I am currently talking to the venue to reorganise the event to a date later in the year and will keep you posted on this as soon as I have confirmation. It is most likely to be in December when you are back home from University or are on your Christmas holidays from work.

Theme of the Week



PSHE Bulletin 27/04/20: Coping Skills by Mr Hunt

The Big Question
Can we learn to cope better with the problems life throws at us?

Prayer of the Day
Lord, you know this life is both beautiful and brutal, often both at the same time.
When problems come our way, help us to see them as small steps in the journey of our life, not unclimbable barriers.
Amen

 “We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair.  We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed”

Paul send words of encouragement to his friends, in 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 (NLT)

Coping Skills Quiz
Question
Always
Sometime 
Never
I have good rules and routines to keep my life on track.



I do things that are important to me, even if they scare me.



I break big problems up into manageable pieces.



I can shift my perspective to stop my problems looking so huge.



I remind myself of my talents and successes when faced with challenge or failure.



I have good methods of calming down and relaxing when I’m getting stressed.



I take life one day at a time, not worrying about the future or regretting the past.



I have good people to lean on in times of trouble.



I keep laughing and joking, even when things aren’t going my way.




Research into the wellbeing of young people suggests that the more of the skills on this list which you possess, the better you are likely to cope with life’s problems.

The great news is that these skills can be taught, practiced and learned.  No one is born with the skills, we learn them from the people around us as we grow up.  We can also teach ourselves through deliberate practice

Challenge
Choose one of the skills from the list which you don’t regularly use.  Over the next two weeks, try and deliberately use this skill when faced with problems, however big or small.  It may feel unnatural at first, but the more you practice, the easier the skill will get.

Further resources
Resilience Framework, by Prof. Angie Hart and Dr.Derek Blincow
www.YoungMinds.org.uk  Search for resilience on this page for a host of great resources for young people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another day of eating over 50,000 calories...

PSHE Bulletin - Mr Hunt

Please read!