FAQs

Year 13s,

How we all doing? Understandably, I've had quite a few students and parents email me with questions regarding A Levels and University places and so I thought I'd do a FAQs blog post. The information has been taken from the UCAS website and the Government website on 25th March and may be subject to change. However, hopefully this will help answer any worries/questions you may have. If I do miss anything, please email me to let me know and I will, of course, update you if any of this information changes.



What should I be doing at home?

You should be continuing to complete work set by your teachers on SMHW.  It is well worth continuing to work hard in order to convince your teachers that you are on track for your best grade possible.

How will my A Level grades be calculated?

The UK Government has asked Ofqual (the examinations regulator) to develop a process in England that will provide you with a calculated grade for your A levels.

To make sure it’s a fair reflection of your performance¸ your grade will be based on information from your teachers’ judgement, using:
  • previous attainment, including GCSEs and mocks 
  • non-exam assessment (course work) 
  • the grade your teachers believe you would have been awarded should exams have gone ahead
Will I receive my predicted grades on UCAS or on my most recent grade collection?

Although the predicted grade on your most recent grade collection is a good reflection of what your teacher thinks is most likely, you will not necessarily get this as a final grade. Ofqual know that simply using predicted grades would not be fair to all students. The calculated grade will take into account teachers’ assessment of the likely grade as well as other factors such as prior attainment. 

What if I didn't perform to the best of my ability in the mock exams?

Mock exam results will be one of the pieces of evidence that will be taken into account in this process, alongside other factors. It is therefore important that you keep working hard at home and completing work set by teachers.

When will I receive my A Level grades?

The government has said its aim is to provide these calculated grades before the end of July.

Will Universities and future employers think my grades are any less valid?

The calculated grades awarded will be formal grades, with the same status as grades awarded in any other year. Please do not worry about the validity of your final grades.

What if I am not happy with my final grades?

If you do not believe the correct process has been followed, you will be able to appeal on that basis. In addition, if you do not feel your calculated grade reflects your performance, you will have the opportunity to sit an exam, as soon as is reasonably possible after schools and colleges open again. You will also have the option to sit your exams in summer 2021.

What does this mean for my UCAS application?

To give you time to make your decisions – and to understand more about how qualifications will be awarded this summer, UCAS have extended their May’s offer deadline for UCAS Undergraduate applicants.  

If you’re affected by this extension, UCAS will email you your new decision deadline once it’s set.    

During this time, it’s important to remember that places are not decided on grades alone. Information in your personal statement and reference are part of the decision-making process along with your interview, portfolio, audition, and any other information that’s relevant to your potential to succeed on an undergraduate course. 

Will there still be clearing if I do not get the grades I need?

At this time, UCAS are still looking to run Confirmation and Clearing in summer, similarly to previous years, giving you the flexibility to make choices throughout the remainder of the cycle.

I haven't received any offers/I do not want to go to any of the places I have applied to. What should I do?

Use UCAS Extra. Extra is another chance for you to gain a place at university or college, between 25 February and 5 July. Please go on to the following website to find out more information: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices


Finally, if you are feeling worried about your University place, the best thing to do is to contact the admissions department of your Universities. Although most people will be working from home, the admissions departments will still have access to their emails and should get back to you.


Sending lots of love,

Mrs Clarke x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another day of eating over 50,000 calories...

Please read!

PSHE Bulletin - Mr Hunt