4 weeks down...

Good morning Year 13! 

I hope that you've all had a happy and restful Easter holidays with your family. What have you all been up to? I am missing you all and would love to have some updates from you so please feel free to send me a quick email!

I have been trying my best to keep my mind and body active. Here are some of the things that I've been up to:

1. Completing challenges 🏆!
I have been inundated with "nominations" for challenges including; a 5k run 🏃, squat challenge, first photo challenge, etc. 
Run 5, Nominate 5, Donate 5

I'm on day 12...
2. Zoom quizzes/catch ups
My husband and I have quickly realised how awful we are at quizzes! My personal favourite was a quiz created by Miss Long which included some very creative rounds, such as "who can put on the most amount of clothes in 3 minutes" and "who can get the most amount of toilet rolls in the camera shot".


3. Working on my creativity

I have taught myself to knit and I have been trying my best (despite a lack of flour/eggs in any shops) to bake 🎂! My husband and I have also redecorated our bedroom and I've had the time to read a couple of books which has hugely helped my well-being.


My knitting creation. I think it's going to be a blanket!
Cupcakes 🧁


4. Buying a puppy!

That's right, I decided that puppy Murphy (my mum's new puppy) needed a little brother and it was now or never. Sooooo my husband and I have bought a gorgeous little brown cockapoo which we pick up in 3 weeks so we have prepping the flat for our new little arrival. 




However, it hasn't all been sunshine 🌞 and rainbows 🌈.... there have also been times when I've been very bored, desperately missed my family and friends, and really lacked motivation so please remember to be gentle with yourself. As I've said before, it's normal to feel overwhelmed and afraid at this moment in time. 





Your A Levels
Before we broke up for the Easter holidays, you were sent a number of emails regarding the calculation of your qualifications. I would strongly suggest that, if you haven't done so already, you read these emails. A letter to all students regarding the calculation of your A Levels can be found here and there is also a useful video clip to watch below.



You have therefore been asked to stop completing all set work for now. I know that there are a few exceptions to this e.g. in Art/Photography/Graphics etc. This does not mean that your teachers will not be in contact with you. It is likely that other suggestions will be made by your teachers as to how you can best prepare for University in the near future, so watch this space. Please keep an eye on your emails over the next few days as I'm sure there will be further updates from myself/Mr Kibble.

Helping others
I think that it's safe to say that the vast majority of you are going to have a lot more free time on your hands than you would have done if it weren't for the global pandemic. I would therefore like you to have a think about how you can use your time wisely and help other people during this time. It could be as simple as calling a friend or relative or sharing some good news with others to put a smile on their face. If it is safe to do so, you may also want to think about giving up some time to volunteer.

Volunteering
I would highly recommend signing up to your local Mutual Aid group. I have signed up to the Egham and Hythe group and have been completing simple tasks for my vulnerable neighbours, such as; food shops, picking up prescriptions, helping out with technology in homes. It is really simple and straightforward to sign up, and you are able to find your local group here.

Mr Thomas
The incredible Mr Thomas is making PPE (visors) for NHS and care workers. He has set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for materials. You can access his page here.

Salesian Staff Challenge
A number of Salesian staff are making full use of their daily exercise and working as a team to complete challenges. Their first challenge was to cover 350km in 6 days which they smashed! Their next challenge is to attempt to travel the equivalent of Chertsey to Turin. They are doing this collectively through running, cycling or walking. If you would like to donate or read more, you can do so here.

Some more good news
Captain Tom Moore
I am sure that you have all heard and watched in the news about Captain Tom Moore who has now raised over £18 million for the NHS by walking 100 lengths of his garden before his 100th birthday. What an inspiring man! Every time he pops up on my tele, he brings a tear to my eye and some much needed "good news". If you haven't already donated, you can do so here.


Reverend Pat Allerton
One of the key impacts of the spread of Covid 19 has been the inability to freely express faith, with churches and places of worship having to close due to social distancing. As churches are shut, one priest has had to adapt and think about how he can help city dwellers in London where he lives. Reverend Pat Allerton has been holding 10 minute services on the streets on London, specifically outside hospitals every day. He does this with a loudspeaker and a hymn and a prayer and I have found his kindness inspiring.




Right folks, that's all from me for now. I'll do another post next week. Remember to email me to let me know what you've been up to. I would love to hear from you

Mrs Clarke x








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another day of eating over 50,000 calories...

Please read!

PSHE Bulletin - Mr Hunt